Recently, ‘The Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science (Official)‘, was hacked by obviously a bunch of butt hurt religious Islamic fanatics. Sexy Atheists page was hacked just a month or so ago. Who knows how many other atheist Facebook pages have been hacked so far. Which is why I’m telling you to protect your page.
Protect your page!
There are ways that you can keep your page from being hacked:
- Make sure your personal information is only seen by you only. (‘Only Me’).
- Have your phone set up to give you notifications (Login Approvals under Security) if someone attempts to hack your page. A security code will be sent to your phone and email will be sent to your inbox. The hacker will not be able to hack your page without that security code.
- Enable ‘Secure Browsing‘. Your browser will switch from http to https.
- Enable ‘Recognized Devices’. Just by a some stroke of luck or a lot of time on the hacker’s hands, you can get a notification when someone logs in on an unrecognized device.
- Make sure you check your ‘Active Sessions’ frequently. The hacker may be stupid enough to stay logged in and keep the same password. Giving you ample time to go in and end their session.
- If you have contributors and admins that you trust, tell them to make sure they ante up on the security and have an alternate screen name just in case; admins especially! If they can’t get through you, they can get through other administrators through their pages.
- Make sure that you’re the only one who can see your friends list.
- Never reveal your identity as the admin of your page.
Admins must protect their identities, and their profiles. This is crucial to keeping your page.